Monday, April 9, 2007

To Fry or Not To Fry? The Question of Quail Eggs


I can hardly bear to crack these open. I keep thinking if I just keep them around long enough, they will hatch. Absurd, of course. They aren't even fertile. What would I do with four quail chicks as tiny as the knuckle of my pinkie? Raise them in the palm of my hand on squiggles of worms until they were strong enough to release in the woodlands.

Since the matter is really out of my palm, however, I have to consider the following delicate multiple-choice question:

A: Fried
B: En Cocotte
C: Deviled
D: Pickled
E: Poached

As I dicker with myself one more day, I am imagining what they taste like. Is their flavor rich or pale or indistinguishable from the chicken egg? I'll find out tomorrow, and so will you.

2 comments:

christine (myplateoryours) said...

I'll be interested to see what you think. I've had them several times, always fried, I think -- on a salad and maybe on shrimp and grits, or some cajuny thing like that. A local restaurant uses them fairly often. I have to say I have never noticed them having a particularly stand-out flavor.

Susan said...

Now I'm even more intrigued. I'm tending toward fried or deviled (better photo ops). They're coming to room temp right now. Thanks for your feedback!